I want to grow a cactus…but how?
The first thing to know if you want to grow a cactus in central Texas: Don’t over think it.
Cacti are awesome. They take care of themselves and they look cool. Best of all – they are easy to grow.
- Step 1 – find a cactus you like.
- Step 2 – Steal a pad. Or you could actually ask the owner – Most cool people won’t care. But, there is more adrenaline involved if you snag the pad without permission.
- Step 3 – Drop the pad where you want it to grow.
- Step 4 – Mic drop. Check that box.
The picture is from a cactus at our office. Allison dropped one single pad on the mulch about a year ago and look at it now.
- Some people recommend burying half the pad vertically.
- Use soil that drains well.
- Don’t over water it. Think about deserts. Maybe once a month. Or just when it rains.
- Even the “spineless” varieties have spines. Wear gloves…or just use tools.
- Cacti look great in certain yards and strange in others – make sure the aesthetic makes sense.
Want to see a site that might have too much information about Cacti in Texas? Here you go.
Want a cactus removed? Ask for a quote here.