One thing we appreciate about our Austin customers is their love and appreciation for native plants. It may be obvious, but native plants tend to do better than other plants. One of our favorites, and most commonly used, is the Blackfoot daisy (aka the Rock Daisy, or the Plains Blackfoot). Here are some basic facts:
- A healthy Blackfoot daisy can show blooms from March to November.
- They are perennials (meaning that they survive multiple seasons).
- They are native to the central and southwest United States to include: AZ, CO, KS, NM, OK, and TX.
- They typically have 8-10 petals.
- They are honey scented.
- They have a LOW water usage (thus the native areas).
- They are very deer resistant.
* Much of this information was gathered thanks to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.